Brain Surgery - Day 1

This morning I am sitting inside the Neuro Acute Care Unit at University Hospital, looking out the window west, down onto the Salt Lake valley. Sitting next to me on a gurney-bed is my sweet wife Kelly, and she is quietly resting now for her third day in the hospital. So let me back up a bit......a couple years ago Kelly started experiencing some random, inconsistent pain throughout areas of her head, and left-side of her body. Being the trooper she is, she didn't pay much attention to the pain, and just lived her life taking care of her family and the good people at Antelope Elementary. The pain never went away, and soon later became a concern to her and me. Initially, we were working with Dr.'s from the Layton-Ogden area - and early concerns included MS. While I am leaving out much detail......almost a year later we were able to get referred to the University of Utah NeuroSciences team. These folks are remarkable to say the least, and quickly were able to dial in on where the pain and discomfort was coming from. Turns out she has a condition called a Chiari Malformation. Big words for sure, and nothing we had ever heard of - and I can write a book trying to describe it, but it is basically an abnormality in the lower part of the brain, known as the cerebellum. Mild cases usually do not produce pain, or quality of life issues, and patients can live normal, healthy lives without effect. In mild and severe cases, the only treatment is a surgical procedure known as a Posterior Fossa Decompression Surgery. In simple terms, the surgeon removes small pieces of the skull bones to make more room for the lower brain and tonsils to rest.

Kelly and I met with Dr. Couldwell in September of this year to discuss the benefits, risks, and procedures of the surgery. As with any surgery around the brain, brain stem, and spinal chord - there are inherent risks and a high level of unpredictability. Dr. Couldwell said that the surgery would likely produce some relief to certain symptoms - but some others he could not guarantee. So we went home and counseled with the Lord as to what the right thing was for Kelly to do. We spent a couple weeks pondering the promptings of the Spirit - and felt it was right for Kelly to proceed with the surgery. So it was scheduled for October 22nd!

On Wednesday, Kelly's mom (Sally) flew up from San Diego to help us with the kids for the month following the surgery. And Wednesday evening, we learned that we needed to be up a the hospital at 6am on Thursday. We arrived right on time, got checked in and was up in the pre-op room by 6:30am. We met with several nurses, both anesthesiologists who would work on Kelly, and one of the surgeons who would be present during the surgery. My mom (Julie) arrived at the hospital about 7am and came back to sit with us for a few minutes, then it was off to the OR! The OR nurse called me about 8:30am saying the surgery was underway. Sally got the kids off to school and joined us in the waiting room, and Kelly's dad, Denis, took the day off school and joined us too. I had an update at 10:45am saying things were going well inside the OR and she would give me another update if the surgery lasted more than two more hours. So by 1pm....we were thinking, "Okay, anytime now"! By 1:30pm - we were thinking..."Okay, REALLY, anytime now"! By 3pm.....I was getting pretty nervous, but shortly thereafter a nurse came out and said they were getting the surgery wrapped up and Kelly would be finished shortly. What a relief!!

About 4pm I got to go back and see Kelly in the Neuro ICU unit. Her ICU nurse, Bruce - met me at the entrance and shared with me that Kelly is in a lot of pain - and they are doing all they can to help her, but the pain will be pretty much unbearable for the first 12-24 hours (even with morphine and Valium). I didn't care, I just wanted to see Kelly and to know that she was okay.

We were able to bring back one person at a time with me to see Kelly - so her dad, mom, my mom and dad all came back and gave her a sweet rub on the shoulder and kiss on the forehead. I stayed with her that night and Sally went home that night to stay with the kids.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this info!!! Even though I am bawling right now, I am glad to hear an update. I have been too nervous to call you guys, I know it is hectic right now and you just need some peace. We love and you and please, keep the posts coming!!

    Give Kelly our love:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Because I am a blog slacker, I'm just now reading this. Kelly! I had no idea you were having any health issues. I'll be praying for a smooth recovery for you.

    ReplyDelete